It’s been about three weeks since you’ve begun your yearly “diet” program. You’ve trudged along, lost a few pounds but in your opinion, the weight isn’t coming off quickly enough. That “Lose 10 Pounds in Ten Days!” starts to sound really inviting. Please, please don’t fall for something that sounds good but isn’t nutritionally sound.
First there is no way anyone can lose 10 lbs. of dangerous fat in 10 days. 3500 calories will create one pound. How many calories do you consume daily? Right. So even if you starved yourself, eating nothing for 10 days you wouldn’t be healthy or lose 10 lbs. Instead you would lose muscle, brain, bone and heart muscle while your body searched for ways to keep your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate= the rate your body consumes calories) healthy. I don’t know about you but I don’t have that many brain cells to lose at my age!
Sometimes I feel like John the Baptist professing Truth among many false gods. Over the past 60 years, health fads created by false diet gurus have come and gone. They cry out, “I have the answer!” which become the no-carbs, all-carbs, no fats, mostly fat, only fruit, no sugar, high protein, even a bacon diet plan emerged over time! People will believe what they want to believe and the majority of diet plans out there aren’t proclaiming Truth.
First we are all uniquely made so of course all diets work for some people. However some are actually unbalanced and harmful to us, like diet pills and cutting out entire food groups. For example: high protein diets. The body can only tolerate so much protein before the kidneys start stressing out or even failing. If the kidneys are stressed, the liver must take over, doing the work of the kidneys. Do you know one of the primary function of the liver? It’s to metabolize fat.
One of my favorite sayings is a Chinese one stating, “Even if 5,000 men are wrong . . . they are still wrong.” Don’t follow the crowd going in the wrong direction on the Poseidon.
Stand for Truth. Start reading about physiology. You’ll develop confidence when you understand how God created our body to function. Consume a variety of nutrients. All nutrients have a different purpose and work for true wellness.
“So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.” (2 Corinthians 4:16)
You can be healthy this year and not suffer! The primary way to safely lose weight and inches is to the old standby:
- Eat for nutrients. That means a variety of complex carbs, lean protein and good fats like omega 3’s. Choose various colors, food groups and remember anything’s fine in moderation.
- Drink water. Add lemon or fruit to make it a more alkaline and flavorful choice. Ditch the sodas!
- Exercise – find something you enjoy: dancing, biking, hiking, skiing, tennis, etc.
- Avoid food temptations – don’t bring them into the house, not even “for the kids.” (If you were an alcoholic would you bring alcohol into your home, resisting that challenge each day? So why bring cupcakes, potato chips or candy into your house? Why get the children addicted?)
- Stop gobbling your food! Savor it and enjoy the taste and texture of food for twenty minutes, the time it takes for your brain to know your stomach is full.
- Find some smaller plates instead of the ones used at King Henry VIII’s banquet. You’ll feel like you’ve eaten more because your brain tells you that.
Keep striving for your best! You can do it!!!