If ‘dieting’ is giving you a headache, making you grumpy or feeling out of sorts, there’s an easy fix. Increase your water intake. Why, you ask?
Have you ever worked in an office when someone was ill and you had to take over their job that day? What then happened to your desk? Your paperwork began to pile up, resulting in not being able to accomplish all of your responsibilities, right?
Well, God created a similar relationship between our kidneys and liver. When we don’t drink enough water, the kidneys are basically “out sick” and the liver has to take over. One of the liver’s major job is to metabolize fat, which it can’t do because it’s currently working for the kidneys. Therefore, fat cells increase. Increasing water will allow us to reach and maintain a healthy weight naturally and painlessly.
Did you think drinking water was simply to make you full? Yes, water (especially with lemon) does suppress the appetite by alkalizing one’s pH, but that’s not the main reason you should hydrate. It’s physiology. God created our bodies as this incredible machine. Women consist approximately of 50-60% water and men, 60-70%! (The more muscular, the more water you contain.)
Consider also these important incentives for drinking water:
- When your body is thirsty, your brain sends out hunger signals because all food contains water. Drink a glass of water and after ten minutes, see if the hunger pains depart. If you’re still hungry, eat something small and water-based, such as an apple, orange or berries.
- The more we eat, the more water we need to dilute our food. Eight glasses daily is a great start, but the heavier you are, increase intake. If you can’t stand water add a slice of lemon. Try pure seltzer water and add a splash of orange, cranberry or pomegranate juice for a “soda.”
- Besides rehydrating your skin, water dilutes your veins and improves circulation.
- You’ll begin to feel more energetic when you hydrate because your body isn’t resisting the toxins that tire you.
- Water assists in muscle tone, preventing your muscles from cramping up.
- Water gets rid of toxins, relieves constipation, ridding the intestines of waste, thereby allowing absorption of more nutrients.
- Water flushes away those toxins, making us less cranky.
- Drinking more water is the best treatment for edema and other fluid retention problems. Diuretics are only a temporary solution because it forces water out of your system. Your body recognizes that’s not natural and retains water to protect you.
- Relieving constipation, it rids the intestines of waste, therefore allows absorption of more nutrients.
- We think more clearly and helps eliminate headaches.
- Water moisturizes the skin, making us look younger than we are! That alone is a great incentive!
What type of water is best? There’s no need to go out and buy expensive bottled water, you might not get what you think! Spring water depends on the spring it comes from, those drinking water bottles sometimes are plain tap water. I recommend distilled water in the gallon bottles.
“But Ellie, that’s what I put in my iron,” you protest. Distilled water is steamed and drips down in a purified state. It’s pure water. (Anytime an element is added to water, it takes longer for the body to break it down.)
Jesus gives us the Living Water which refreshes our Soul. Remember that’s the BEST WATER ever!
“He believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.” (John 7:38)