Ever go to an “all you can eat” Buffet and rationalize, “I better eat enough because after all, it’s free food!” Six plates of food and five desserts later, you’re not feeling so great about your decision.
News Flash: “All you can eat” is never free. Overindulge and there’s a price to pay. It hangs on to you like a demon, causing heart and cholesterol problems.
When you think about it, nearly every disease can be traced back to what we place in our mouths. Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, cancers, gout, diverticulitis . . . it’s sad but basically true. Why do we do that to ourselves? Why do we self-destruct our precious temple of the Holy Spirit?
We wouldn’t think of entering the Temple of Jerusalem and throwing trash onto that sacred floor, would we? But in essence, that is exactly what we are doing when we consume all those processed meats, artificial chemicals and fast foods everyday. Trashing our personal temple.
Remember, food isn’t necessarily good or bad, it is simply food, a way to convert nutrients into energy. Anything’s fine in moderation, but consuming junky foods everyday leads to illness, denigrating our earthly temple. Have we ever contemplated how our out of control actions delights Satan who despises our Lord and any who follow Him? By losing control over food, we make it an idol. We are worshipping at our personal “Temple of the Krispie Kreme.”
Joshua 24:15 “
“And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15, NKJV.
Choose this day whom you will serve! . . . As for me and my house, I will serve the Lord! Now it’s your choice. Please don’t create a graven image in the form of a donut or a potato chip.
But It Won’t Be There Tomorrow! If you grew up poor, during the depression or in a huge family where you had to grab it before it was gone, you might also not believe food will be there tomorrow. Your subconscious mindset is; “I better eat my fill today, while I can, before it’s all gone.” That’s false thinking!
Talk yourself into success, creating a plan beforehand to foster self-control.
- Remind yourself that food isn’t your controller!
- Remember food isn’t free, eating too much at a buffet affects all your bodily functions. Choose health!
- Visualize yourself in a battle with Satan. Are you going to let him win? NO! Believe 1 John 4:4, “Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.” Tell Satan, “I win, you lose! Ha, ha!”
- Socialize with others as you eat. slow down and concentrate and enjoy what you have on your plate. Remember it takes 20 minutes for your brain to know that your stomach is full.
- Eat something small and healthy before going out, so you won’t be ravenous when you arrive and overindulge with the lust of the eyes. 1 John 2:16.
- After being victorious, reward yourself with a non-food item, such as a hair product, hat, book, exercise video, sunglasses or movie when you overcome temptation.
Recite Philippians 4:13 “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” and just do it!