I was at a pancake breakfast fundraiser one morning, when a sweet young lady looked at what I was consuming and commented, “Wow, I never touch orange juice, that stuff is pure poison!” as she placed a fourth strip of bacon into her mouth. Sure enough she was on the Atkins Diet. Let’s see, I was drinking something that was filled with vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, folate, B6, calcium, vitamin A, niacin and iron. She was eating a food that contained preservatives, nitrates and cholesterol laden saturated fat. We all have a choice – You make the call.
I Timothy 4:7,8 ” Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.”
The basic principle behind the Atkins Diet is nothing new, it was proposed in 1863 by a London undertaker. Ironic to say the least. The Atkins Diet is not how God created us to eat. In the Garden of Eden He advised Adam to consume every seed bearing fruit, plant and tree for food. (Genesis 1:29) The last time I checked, an orange was from a seed bearing tree. Fruits, (carbohydrates) are not allowed on Atkins. But when God speaks, I listen.
I’m amazed at how many people follow this diet! I know it can work for some people because we all have a different chemical make-up, but here is a list of physiological reasons why, as a nutritionist, I’d personally never recommend this diet plan:
- There’s a higher risk of high cholesterol and kidney stones.
- When your body is unable to burn glucose it turns to burning fat, which produces a body chemical called ketones. As Ketones rise, uric acid increases, as does gout possibilities.
- Toxins fester in the fat cells due to chemicals and hormones being released in a higher body-fat environment, changing your personality for the worse.
- The body doesn’t receive enough diverse vitamins or minerals, but does receive too much iron.
- Too many fat soluble vitamins, (A,D, E, K and selenium) are released, which are toxic in large doses.
- Abnormal heart rhythms rise due to a forced excretion of potassium & sodium while not retaining enough magnesium.
- Without the high fiber intake from whole grains, cholesterol levels rise, as does a risk of colon cancer, when all waste isn’t excreted from the body.
- This diet produces a ph on the acidic side. Cancers thrive in an acidic environment. Want to roll the dice?
- Processed meat contains enormous amounts of nitrates, fats, dyes and salt, increasing cancer risk.
- It works due to water loss. Carbohydrates are the nutrients that hold water in the body and the dieter’s not consuming carbs. When they’ve gone back to eating carbs after they’ve quit the Atkins Diet, water is retained, therefore making one believe carbs are the problem.
Dr. Atkins called his idea a “Diet Revolution“. Who and what was he rebelling against . . . God’s perfect design to eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains??? The Atkins Diet excludes fruits and starchy vegetables which God ordained for us to eat in the Garden of Eden.
As a Christian, I’d rather not rebel against my LORD, would you? “You say, “I am allowed to do anything”–but not everything is good for you. You say, “I am allowed to do anything”–but not everything is beneficial.” (1 Corinthians 10:23)
It’s your choice. Choose to honor God by eating healthier.