There are several controversial diets which will be addressed in this series; but first some practical truths:
- God’s physiological Truths trump man’s truths every time! God Truths remain constant: He doesn’t make mistakes nor does He change His mind. Numbers 23:19
- There is no such thing as “instant” weight loss. If you believe that, sadly you’ll believe anything. Weight didn’t go on overnight, it’s not going to be lost overnight.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is! Ask yourself, what’s in it for the one who is creating this diet? Notoriety, fame on Oprah, monetary gain? Would you trust your life to someone who only wants your money?
- Strive not to be a sheep who follows blindly down a path to destruction. Don’t be so desperate to lose weight that you’ll follow any diet guru or celebrity. Please don’t jeopardize your health for a passing fad based on no physiological science even if everyone else is doing it.
- Any diet will allow you to lose weight but a realistic one is when a person can remain on for life without sacrificing health.
I was going to begin this series with all the crazy diet plans out there to show you that some people will follow any program to lose weight. Then I thought about human nature: people today want instant gratification and they want it NOW! To delay recommending a good diet plan would delay improved vitality.
So let’s discuss what God wants instead. He wants you safe, happy and healthy: mentally, physically and spiritually. Diets make one grumpy, jittery and under-nourished. Health makes one vibrant and victorious! Therefore, what kind should one begin NOW?
Easy question. Remember what God advised from the beginning:
“God also told them, “Look! I have given you every seed-bearing plant that grows throughout the earth, along with every tree that grows seed-bearing fruit. They will produce your food. ” (Genesis 1:29)
It wasn’t until after the Flood that God urged mankind to consume meat. (Genesis 9: 3)
Which available diet plan stresses consuming fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, herbs and seeds? The Mediterranean Diet! This balanced regiment contains all of that; plus fish, lean meat proteins and essential fatty acids. It is also in agreement with my philosophy that consuming anything is fine in moderation as recommended in 1 Corinthians 10:23 . . . even chocolate and wine. It also means limiting but not eliminating red meat which provides essential B12.
It also empathizes Fiber! This is imperative for cleansing the digestive tract and allowing nutrients to be maximized.
The Mediterranean Diet is a Grace Plan as well as my personal Garden of Eden Diet. It allows me to choose and even substitute what I enjoy and never endure items I abhor. It’s a grown-up diet plan and it’s beneficial to everyone. You can search online for a copy of this diet plan. Realistically, it is how I eat, consuming 5x’s more fruits, vegetables and whole grains than meat protein. I avoid processed, packaged foods and use good fats sparingly. By good fats I mean Essential Fatty Acids like olive, canola oil and nuts.
So why isn’t everyone on this plan? Because some people mistakenly believe that there must be a “secret formula.” Others believe they are not worthy enough and must suffer for health, or for many other subliminal reasons. It’s the reason I enjoy being a nutritional counselor. When patients understand why they self-destruct, they begin to desire genuine health over weight loss. Begin to analyze what motivates and hampers you in any goal.
3500 calories equal a pound, so cut out about 500 calories per day to slowly lose a pound a week and keep it off. Exercise to increase loss. The Mediterranean diet also believes in physical exercise as an essential component to health. All these fundamentals add up as the most sensible for healthy living. And the bonus is that it is relatively inexpensive and easy to follow.
Rather than provide a specific Mediterranean diet plan here, please check out the countless websites that recommend what to eat.
Next Up: “Don’t try this at Home: Those Wild & Crazy Diet Plans.”