In 1991 as I began my nutritional counseling career, fibromyalgia (FMS) was just emerging onto the medical scene. When the doctors I worked for couldn’t determine a specific cause, they inevitably sent the patient to me. As I sat and listened to their symptoms and heard their plea for help, it was truly frustrating for us both. There were no guidelines at that time and many doctors believed it to be a “psychological inducement caused by stress.” Translation: “It’s in your head.”
The more I listened, the more convinced I was that FMS was not a myth. In fact there seemed to be a connection among most patients: 80% of them worked around chemicals. They were hairstylists, manicurists, lab and pest control technicians, house cleaners, etc. which I found to be curious. The skin is the largest organ of the body. Doesn’t it seem reasonable that since the skin can breathe in toxins which remain in the muscles and joints, couldn’t fibromyalgia be a result of toxic build-up in the body?
Another possibility: FMS cases are increasing yearly. So are the chemical additives placed in foods found on grocery shelves! Is there a connection here? Just in case, I’d urge all to go back to the original “diet” plan God gave Adam. (Genesis 1:29) You’ll understand that God is smarter than we are.
To date there is no cure for FMS but I pray there is hope and here is what I humbly offer to fight it:
- Keep a food diary for at least a month. Track every food you place in your mouth. (Your health depends on it so don’t whine!) Circle any boxed, canned or bagged food that contains dyes, chemical additives or preservatives and don’t ever purchase these again.
- Increase your intake of purified, distilled water and lemon-water. Rid your diet of Splenda and chemically infused diet drinks.
- Try juicing (but don’t forget fiber foods) and consume more alkaline foods. Use my search engine for posts on the pH scale.
- Wash all of your fruits and vegetables thoroughly! Even pre-washed packages contain some risk of pesticides. Increase organic foods if possible.
- Protect yourself with high antioxidant choices. Antioxidants protect the skin and will hopefully create a force field against outside pollutants.
- Increase fiber rich choices. This will not only detoxify your body quickly by removing toxins through the kidneys and liver, but allow more protective nutrients to enter your bloodstream through the small intestine.
- Get out and walk! Fresh air releases endorphins and serotonin which improves the mood and reduces stress.
Change your diet. Search for the most powerful antioxidant foods available:
- Garlic, onions, leeks all contain powerful chemicals which boost the immune system. I’ve written about this a lot. See any post on healing foods.
- The friendly bacteria, acidophilus is found in good quality yogurt. Mountain High, Stonyfield, Stony Farms, Yoplait Natural, Fage (or any without additives) will fight the harmful bacteria in your system.
- Spicy foods release soothing neurotransmitters which calms pain. Try increasing hot spicy foods containing capsaicin, (cayenne pepper) or hot salsas, peppers, horseradish, wasabi.
- Chlorophyll will boost immune fighting properties. This includes alfalfa, kelp, spinach, kale, broccoli or wheat grass. Basically all green foods contain chlorophyll. (but NO! Not moldy cheese.)
Lastly, it is not only “in your head.” Sometimes it’s in your heart too, for it takes Herculean effort to remain upbeat and positive when in pain. I urge you to surround yourself with TRUE friends who will accept you as you are! God will never abandon you.
“And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.” Revelation 21:4