“Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.” John 6:35
Dr. Perlmutter, well-known neurologist, has released a new book, Grain Brain. It’s on track to be the newest fad in healthcare.
One advertising headline screamed, “The devastating truth about the effects of wheat, sugar and carbs on the brain with a 30 day plan to achieve optimum health.”
Oh my, the truth, who knew??? (tongue firmly planted in cheek)
This is how Barnes & Noble has touted its release: “Renowned neurologist David Perlmutter, MD, blows the lid off a topic that’s been buried in medical literature for far too long: carbs are destroying your brain. And not just unhealthy carbs, but even healthy ones like whole grains can cause dementia, ADHD, anxiety, chronic headaches, depression, and much more.”
Man, it’s always something isn’t it? Actually those who should avoid gluten (found in wheat, barley, rye and perhaps oats), are those with Celiac disease, a debilitating autoimmune condition in which the body perceives gluton as a threat and damages the lining of the small intestine.
But my goodness, this doctor is leading people in a wrong direction. Did God lie? Make a mistake? If so, it would be God’s first mistake in man’s 6,000 . . . oh wait, make that 69.9 million years if you’re an evolutionist. Guess you know I’m not.
“God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?” Numbers 23:19
Here’s why I’ll stick to Gods’ plan:
- Man has been consuming complex carbohydrates since the Garden of Eden, which God endorsed as he instructed Adam.
- Jesus stated that he was the Bread of Life. He’s God! He cannot lie! I doubt He misspoke or knowingly stated that whoever came unto me would be susceptible to dementia! Do you?
- The brain feeds primarily on glucose derived from carbohydrates. Consume complex types: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds NOT donuts and candy!
- The Far East and other cultures consume far more carbohydrates than we do and yet have much lower rates of dementia and other illnesses than the US which consumes a more fatty diet.
- In his interview, Dr. Perlmutter encourages modern society to go back to an early man diet; 75% fat and 5% carbs. Excuse me, not true. Early man’s diet consisted of one given by God when He placed Adam in the Garden of Eden.
“Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.” Genesis 1:29.
Man didn’t eat meat until after the flood! Genesis 9:3.
I could write pages on the benefits of whole grains and how complex carbohydrate’s benefit bodily functions but here are just a few:
- Whole grains contain fiber, a necessity for good digestion. Fiber escorts toxins out of our system so the liver is cleaner, allowing for dispersing of nutrients more effectively.
- Whole grains contain beneficial B vitamins which improve mood and convert carbs, protein and fats into energy.
- Whole grains are a good source of magnesium, iron, manganese, selenium, Vitamin E, and valuable antioxidants which prevent aging among other benefits.
- One can develop allergies in anything if one consumes the same food all the time. Consume a variety of whole grains to prevent this: amaranth, buckwheat, corn, millet, oats, quinoa, wild rice, couscous.
- Whole grain (complex carbs) regulates blood sugar by allowing insulin to be released more slowly into our systems, thus benefiting diabetics.
- Whole grains escort the sludge through our veins, thus preventing heart disease and colon cancers.
- Since whole grain contains valuable fiber which expands when drinking water, it helps with weight management too!