Here’s the scenario: You start out enthusiastically on a new healthier eating plan and begin seeing the pounds drop off. Your family, co-workers and church friends start to notice too and encouragement abounds!
Fast forward another month: you receive more compliments on how nice you look in some stunning new outfits. Lots of “that-a-boys” come your way. You beam a wide smile and thank them, determined to continue.
Another few weeks pass and the praise has declined. Even family members seem to take your weight loss for granted. You sigh, anticipating the upcoming holidays with all its scrumptious party appetizers and desserts.
What’s a person to do?? No one cares anyway, you shrug, so what difference would it make if I begin again in January?
1 Corinthians 10:31 “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”
No one notices??? GOD notices!
Of course it’s nice to get compliments . . . we all love compliments! Don’t beat yourself up over it. But if that’s the only reason we strive to get slender, it won’t work. Humans tend to disappoint each other. We aren’t perfect and sometimes we’re too involved in our own little world to notice others. Sad but true. Fact: We must get healthy because we want health more than we want cake!
We should get healthy because it’s what’s best for us and our Christian testimony! Ask yourself, would anyone want to be you? Strive to be your most excellent self! God doesn’t expect perfection from Believers, but He does expect obedience. What has He asked us to be? HOLY! 1 Peter 1:16 states, “for it is written: Be holy, for I am holy.” It’s hard to be holy when we make an idol out of food.
Proverbs 8:33 “Mark a life of discipline and live wisely; don’t squander your precious life.”
So here’s my advice: make weight loss a game!
- Keep a chart of your weight loss on graph paper. Be competitive. Tell yourself when you reach another three-pound loss, you’ll finally purchase that DVD you’ve wanted. When you’ve reached ten pounds, purchase that new cologne or scarf you’ve waited for. (Anything but food.) For every few pounds, reward yourself as we did when we were young.
- Use your visualization skills and visualize ugly fat coursing through your veins or smeared over your face. Yuk!
- Find new support partners by creating a healthy cooking club. This can be done online too if you start to follow the wonderful healthy food bloggers at WordPress.
- Create a scrapbook of new clothing styles you’ll try when you reach a certain goal. Place a few pictures on the fridge to encourage you.
- Join a walking, swimming, bicycle or sports club in your community.
- Get your children involved! Get them exercising with you while watching your favorite exercise or Zumba instructor on television. When you win by losing, they all win!
- Place affirmations around the home: on the bathroom mirror, refrigerator, computer, auto dashboard. Remind yourself of 1 John 4:4 and Philippians 4:1
I urge you to find positive actions for health but if that fails, find a picture of our Lord crucified and place THAT on the fridge or cupboard. Jesus died for all sins, even the sin of gluttony.
Get healthy in gratitude to God for giving us such an abundant life in this jar of clay you placed us in!