Accepting yourself for who you are is one of the first positive steps you must take in order to become focused on recovery! Don’t believe the negative, worldly hype that Satan sends out, whispering in your ear that you’re not worth it! I can assure you; God doesn’t make junk! He made you – so you’re not junk!
I once presented my dejected new patient, Inez, with a pad of paper. It contained two columns. I asked her to write all her good qualities down one side and those she thought needed improvement on the other. She began writing diligently. Then I noticed she abruptly stopped writing. Looking over, I asked her why had she stopped? She said, “I’m finished, I can’t think of anything else.” I smiled and took the pad from her. One side was almost totally filled with negativity. The other column only stated, “I have good hair.” She couldn’t think of anything else valuable in her personality or looks.
Why do we sometimes judge ourselves so adversely? Has life beaten us down so much, we believe we deserve nothing better? God states that He only wants what’s best for us!
Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Who would you rather believe: Satan who wants to discourage us from positive actions, or God who wants us to abundantly thrive? Well over time, I’m happy to say that Inez rediscovered her kindness, helpfulness, generosity toward others and her smile. She learned she was more than an outside shell attempting to become thinner. She developed a total mind, body, spirit view of health!
Below are a ‘List of Affirmations‘. If you are one who feels beaten down by life, I ask you to copy some of the these and post them on your refrigerator, pantry, computer, car dashboard, pocketbook, closet, dresser or bathroom mirror. Anywhere you’ll see them throughout the day. For what a person believes about himself, he tends to live.
- God does not make junk!
- Today I’m taking steps to improve my life!
- I am special because God created me. Psalm 139: 13,14
- Feeling good about myself is more important that ANY food!
- I’ll make someone laugh today, including myself!
- It’s not selfish to treat myself well.
- I forgive my mistakes because I realize I can’t be perfect.
- I desire to honor my body’s temple of the Holy Spirit.
- I am a kind person and others appreciate that!
- HEALTH feels WONDERFUL!
- I’m developing more self-discipline each day!
- It’s okay to let others know the real me.
- I’m making the tough choices that must be made!
- I expect my body to be submissive to God’s Will, because He gives me willpower.
- I have friends who love me as I am, regardless of my size.
- I don’t have to be a size two in order to have worth!
- I am a loving person.
- I am strong, honest and helpful.
- Being outside in the fresh air makes me feel closer to God!
- I deserve to be treated with respect because God respects me.
- Any change always has drawbacks but I’ll overcome!
- I’ll pray as I walk today!
- Success is a continuous journey, not a one-time destination.
- I will prepare my mind for success because I KNOW I can do this!
- Happiness is a choice and I choose it!
Proverbs 23: 7 “For as he thinks within himself, so he is.”