It’s the start of the holiday party season. From now until Superbowl, it’s party, party , party!! Being the life of the party, you’ve been invited to more than a few. But you’ve been trying to cut down on unhealthy foods. How do you resist those fattening party appetizers and not gain weight? I know it’s tough – but it can be done!
Simply avoiding social situations won’t help because temptations in life are everywhere. It’s important to develop strategies while discovering how to overcome various enticements. But you’re not alone. God is your partner in this!
1 Corinthians 10:13, ” No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”
That escape is your brain as well as your resolve. Use common sense.
- Don’t arrive hungry.
- Remember you’re surrounded by friends.
- Do your socializing away from the appetizer table.
- Alcohol contains 28 calories per teaspoon.
Bring an appetizer you’d like to eat. Low fat appetizers needn’t taste like cardboard. Homemade salsa in a red, green or yellow pepper, surrounded by baked tortilla chips on a colorful Christmas plate looks attractive and is low-fat!
Here are some additional suggestions to get you through “party season hell”.
- Create homemade spicy salsa using mango, peach, pineapple, black bean or corn. Salsa recipes are easy. Bake your own seasoned tortilla chips.
- Tapenades are very popular this year. Search for low-fat recipes and use crusty bread.
- Bring shrimp cocktail and create your own spicy cocktail sauce using lots of horseradish. Spicy foods increase metabolism.
- Hummus, a dip made with blended chick peas and lots of garlic makes a fabulous choice. Bring baked pita chips or veggies along for dipping.
- Create your own Chex mix with a variety of sodium free pretzels, dried fruit, popcorn, sunflower or pumpkin seeds and nuts.
- Bring Bruschetta topped with a spread of tomatoes, garlic, herbed cheeses, pesto or an olive mixture.
- There are many low-fat cheese brands; Laughing Cow, Sargento Light, Alpine Lace, Cabot. Use Triscuits as a high fiber cracker.
- Try baking pizza squares and top with ham, pineapple, banana or jalapeno peppers, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, black olives, etc.
- Create black or pinto bean dips. They are low in fat and high in fiber! Add garlic and it’s a high antioxidant appetizer!
- Roasted garlic (bake with drizzled olive oil for 30 minutes) spreads smoothly over wonderful hearty wheat, French or Italian bread.
- Want to bake a spinach, artichoke dip? Spinach & artichokes contain no fat and use less fatty, 1-2% dairy products.
- Bake “buffalo bites” using chicken breast and place on holiday toothpicks.
- Bored with the typical veggie plate? Try seasoned roasted vegetables instead. Add a low-fat roasted garlic dip.
- Create your own fruit kabobs with whatever’s in season, pears, apples, bananas, pineapple and place on theme appropriate spears
- Set up a chocolate fondue display surrounded by cherries, strawberries, bananas, apples, marshmallows, graham crackers or vanilla wafers.
- Make a fruit tray and create the darkest chocolate dip you can. Dark chocolate contains magnesium, copper, potassium and antioxidants.
If you’re having a hard time resisting, use your visualization skills. Visualize that rich Velveeta Cheese coursing through your veins into your heart muscle, clogging your arteries, turning them into a nice golden sludge. (I know, I can really take the fun out of a party, can’t I?) But consider this, if you can get through this one season, by next season the taste of fat won’t be so desirable. You’ll have beaten back temptation and replaced it with personal, positive accomplishments!
Remember whatever you eat, you’ll wear it. So before you consume it, ask yourself “Is this something I want to wear?” Probably not. Take it one party at a time and after withstanding temptation, you’ll have reached another goal. Congratulations!