In the mid ’90s, Oprah Winfrey, as an experiment for her television show, set up a bogus diet center in a mall. The diet consisted of eating only hot dogs and ice cream. Anyone remember how many fell for it? Over 45 signed up in 3 days!!
The question one has to ask is, why????? Surely they couldn’t believe that consuming sodium-filled, nitrate laden, saturated-fat, processed meat and dairy (5-22 grams of saturated fat per 1/2 cup in ice cream – and who only eats a 1/2 cup?) would produce the fit body of a healthy person? Isn’t health more important than weight loss?
Research states that the diet industry is a $40-60 billion dollar industry. Many are looking for a quick fix, even at the expense of their health, literally dying to be thin. Nutritional education, physiology, overcoming challenges, establishing lifelong strategies are more important than a quick fix.
Romans 5:3 “More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance”
Exposing false claims and gurus who profess that one can lose a “pound a day” by trying this or that fad is challenging. (See previous posts) Please don’t waste your time or money on any which might work for a short time, but is this how you really want to live?
The Cabbage Soup Diet (It’s so complicated!)
Popular throughout the ’90s, it’s still used by many today as a magic pill. “You can lose 10lbs in 10 days!!” it touts. Wow, if it were simply that easy. This claim isn’t realistic. You might lose 10 lbs in 10 days but it wouldn’t be only fat you’d be losing.
Here’s why: (stay with me here)
- 3,5000 calories equal one pound of fat.
- A person would need to create a deficit of 500 calories per day to lose one pound of fat a week.
- Let’s say you are 180 lbs. and moderately active. Your usual daily intake is 2,500 calories per day.
- You reduce your diet to 1500 calories per day. (Any more and you lose vital nutrients and your brain, thinking you are ill, will slow your metabolism down to a crawl, defeating the purpose.)
- Losing 1,000 calories per day would only add up to 7,000 calories per week or 2 lbs.
- Even if you cut out all food for ten days – starving yourself, 10 days x 2500 calories = 25,000 calories. That only equals 7 lbs lost. It would also be muscle, brain and water. In today’s world I don’t have brain cells to lose, do you?
10 Day Fruit Diet
10 days of eating nothing but fruit deprives the body of 50 essential nutrients needed to maintain a healthy body.
The body won’t be able to maintain this kind of diet because it becomes biologically frustrated and here’s the main reason why:
- The hypothalamus, an almond sized master gland in your brain is responsible for certain metabolic functions. It acts like a garage mechanic, checking on all the working parts on your car, so to speak.
- He checks the fluid levels, noting, “Okay, you’ve got enough potassium but whoops, you’re quart low on magnesium. You need more than that!”
- The hypothalamus starts nagging the body to get more magnesium. Well broccoli has magnesium, but so does chocolate. Which one do you think you’re going to give in to? Veggies or chocolate? Of course the chocolate!
- Eventually you’ll break down and give in to temptation and probably feel like a failure which is not what God says you are. God doesn’t make junk!
I know I sound like a broken record but your body was meant to eat a variety of nutrients. If it doesn’t, you’ll gain weight and false diets become tempting.
Galatians 5:16 ‘”So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.”