It surprises some patients to know that of the three major food groups, (carbohydrates, proteins and fats), protein is the one that should be least consumed and here’s why:
- The body can tolerate only so much protein. Too much places a strain on the kidneys and the liver, losing water weight & muscle, not fat.
- High protein diets cause the body to age faster – and who wants that?
- A protein dieter risks uremic (kidney) poisoning, damaging the brain, nervous system, even causing death.
- Higher protein diets increase certain cancers due to IGF-I, an insulin growth hormone, according to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
- Dieters lose more water weight than unwanted fat. Once again it forces the body to lose water unnaturally and your body rebels by conserving water after you return to eating normal foods.
- Too much protein upsets body chemistry, losing calcium, bone, muscle and vital nutrients such as vitamin C, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus in the process.
- High protein bars have the calorie count as candy and some taste like dirt.
- Most people only need about 6 – 8 oz. of meat protein a day. That’s about the size of a deck of cards or the palm of your hand.
- The body has a physiological need to chew and when deprived, “nags” for something to chew. When the dieter gives in, they feel like a failure for lack of willpower.
- Liquid protein diets are almost always extremely low-calorie plans, sometimes only consisting of 400-1000 calories a day. After awhile, the body’s metabolism slows down thinking it’s starving, and will protect itself by holding on to every calorie. (One patient came to me who hadn’t lost weight even on a 400 calories per day liquid diet!!! It was a longer process to win her rebelling body back to health.)
So take a look at that protein drink on the shelf and notice how many calories it has. Probably about 250-350 right? Okay, for that same amount of calories, you can consume a huge garden salad consisting of leafy greens, radishes, cucumbers, carrots, a small tomato and 2-3 ounces of tuna or grilled left-over chicken and a drizzle of olive oil and vinegar dressing. With a nice seltzer/juice combination drink and you’ll feel much more satisfied. You were suffering for nothing.
Most people mistakenly believe that they need to consume animal protein to build muscle tissue. Unless you are a body builder, which probably isn’t the case, muscles need glycogen, a carbohydrate to produce healthy muscles. You can be healthy existing on only vegetable protein.
Daniel 1:1-15 “Then Daniel said to the steward whom the chief of the eunuchs had assigned over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, “Test your servants for ten days; let us be given vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then let our appearance and the appearance of the youths who eat the king’s food be observed by you, and deal with your servants according to what you see.” So he listened to them in this matter, and tested them for ten days. At the end of ten days it was seen that they were better in appearance and fatter in flesh than all the youths who ate the king’s food.”
Protein is also found in legumes, soy products, fruits, vegetables and whole grains as well as meat. The body wants to work together like the well run machine it is meant to be, by gathering its necessary vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, phytonutrients through nutritious foods.
Stop suffering and enjoy the life God gave you!