“For it is written, You must be holy, because I am holy.” (1 Peter 1:16)
We are commanded to honor God with our bodies and let’s face it, no one desires to fail on a “diet” plan. But every time we get exasperated, wanting to quit, the devil taunts: see I told you couldn’t do it! Don’t believe it! The Lord knows you are more powerful than Satan so tap into God’s power! (1 John 4:4)
To ensure weight loss success, establish your defenses against Satan’s lies.
1. Winners know who they are. Accept your need for self acceptance. You are unique, revel in that. Build your worth around your personality, love for God, others and family. Real beauty comes from within. (1 Samuel 16:7) There are some very attractive but mean-spirited people you’d prefer not to be around, agree?
2. Become conscious of how you react to food. Are you really hungry or just provoked by a feeling? Do you eat healthy foods or do you bring tempting junk into your home? Do you eat quickly or dine leisurely with friends and family? It takes 20 minutes for your brain to know your tummy is full, so relax and enjoy your food.
3. Build a support system for accountability/encouragement. God declared that it wasn’t good for man to be alone. Your friends and family care if you’re unhealthy. Love yourself enough to change for their feelings as well as your own.
4. Successful people are committed to reaching goals. They don’t allow set-backs to deter them. Sometimes you’ll be ten steps forward and then four steps back, but remember, you’re still going forward! As a Christian, is there anything that would entice you to return to a decadent lifestyle? Hope not! Realize that God doesn’t expect perfection from you, only obedience – so don’t expect it from yourself.
5. Successful people develop strategies. They have created strategies to overcome temptations before they arise. Outside influences don’t control them. They know honoring God is more important than establishing a fattening treat as their idol.
6. They find pleasure in other actions besides eating! Develop a hobby, write, paint, exercise, read a favorite novel, garden, learn a new skill. You do so much for others, now spend time on yourself. It’s not selfish to find satisfaction in a well-rounded lifestyle! Food then won’t be the highlight of your life.
7. Motivated people use visualization skills. Try visualizing yourself covered in beef fat. Visualize eating raw chicken skin, mmm . . . or bacon grease coursing throughout your veins. Not very attractive. Think of your heart as a separate entity, faithfully working day and night to keep you alive. Your heart deserves better!
8. Winners are confident people! Aren’t you drawn to confident leaders? Just think how mentally strong you become, because no one else can lose your weight but you!! If you can lose weight you can do anything, so walk like a winner!
9. Winners become educated. They understand why they eat, where the temptations are. They control their daily fat intake and rarely eat junk food which greatly ages the body. They exercise because it’s beneficial. They’ve learned how the body works. What a fascinating machine God gave us!
10. Feeling great is their everyday routine. Healthy people smile more, enjoying life! Being healthy improves one’s looks, energy level, longevity, self-esteem and is a testimony to how God gloriously rules in our lives.
Walk with God’s Strength, it’s something winners strive for.
“For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.” (Isaiah 41:13)